Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default [1.2.281] You should care about the new versioning system!

A new version system is now put into place with KMST. This version system allows each WZ file to operate on a different version... so...

Character.wz can act like it's on version 265
    Effect.wz can be on version 260
    Item.wz can be on version 250

And everything still just works. This is great for me as it simplifies extracting, but this is also great for players of Maplestory.

In the encryption scheme of maplestory, the version of each WZ file is also used in the decryption procedure for the offsets. Because the version changed with every patch of the game, this means all of the offsets changed. Because offsets changed, that means that the patcher had to rebuild every single wz file so that all WZ files (1) used the current version and (2) used the correct decryption for the offsets. Now that every wz file does not have to be updated with every patch (because the offsets do not change anymore - same version), this is what it means for players of maplestory:

1. Faster patching times - you don't have to rebuild every file from scratch when patching your game
    2. Less hard drive space consumed for patching - previously, to patch every file required a huge amount of disk space (2 GB or more, and growing)
    3. Smaller patch files - Since the patch files do not have to contain instructions for how to rebuild every WZ file, this means a smaller patch file. A smaller patch file also means faster downloading speeds as there's less stress on the server on patch day.

So talk about a huge hooray for Maplestory players on patch day!

2. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Wow. O.o Disappointed that balancing seems to be over, not that i was expecting any more. Glad to see that they're working on the mechanics of the client itself though.

Hopefully this means a raise on the cap of def and other stat limitations as well as a reduction in the speed cap.

Also waiting for compatibility patch for vista/7.

3. Default

This doesn't mean balancing is over.

They are not messing with the game's funcionality on this one, it is just something to make patching easier...

4. GLADIGATORS
    usa

The fact that they started messing with other stuff pretty much confirms that balancing is over.

Not in game functionality, client functionality.

5. Default

It was said that they finished the first part of balancing. They don't need to start the second part right away.

6. Default

They stopped ellin forest with entrances to Boulder Mountain(Perion) and Mushroom Hill(Henesys) unfinished, so that's a moot argument.

7. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Thank god. It's about time they were able to make it so patch files (even minor ones), don't take forever. Thanks Blizz! Nexon!

8. Default

Due to how the versioning system works, Base.wz will always be patched. Considering that Base.wz is on the order of 7 - 8 KB this is a far cry in comparison to Sound.wz's 300 - 500MB.

9. Mercury Straight Male
    IGN: MagiRico
    Server: LoL NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Jungle/Top/Supp
    Guild: Deny
    Alliance: Eternal
    Kansas

Faster and easier patching.

I have to say, with all the problems I get when I patch the game, I'm looking forward to this ^_^

10. GLADIGATORS
    usa

Two completely different types of content, so that's a moot argument too.

11. Default

Regardless, a new patch from x category doesn't preclude patches from y category.
    Last edited by Sarah; 2010-01-14 at 02:13 PM.

12. Default

How does working on the client give any indication of changing caps?

13. Default

OMG THIS MEANS!!

WE ARE GETTING PATCHES!

Oh wait.

14. Default

Different content, same concept.

Just because they're doing something else doesn't decide that they're done with what they started previously.

15. GLADIGATORS
    usa

Fact A) A new big area is coming out soon.
    Fact B) Well designed bosses are limited by the fact that things such as def can't exceed 1999
    Fact C) They're changing the client for the better (both because of this patch and because they said they would fiddle with the client already)

You guys don't have to pick apart my hopes based off logic or a pattern. Just because i hope they do it doesn't mean i'm saying "HOLY S'HIT THIS IS DEFINETLY GOING TO HAPPEN".

16. Default

They had a re-balancing patch in March of last year, obviously there won't be any further re-balancing of the classes. Oh wait.

In all seriousness, as everyone else is saying, it isn't definitive proof that there won't be further changes to the Adventurer classes. Until we actually get to April we can't be certain.

17. Default

So... if they only change map.wz for a few patches, you could, in theory, use a mob.wz that's 5 patches old? Lolwin?

18. Default

Whenever I skip a patch, it's because the stuff in there wasn't all that important or it didn't alter the wz files at all.