1. フレイムチョコボ Straight Male
    IGN: FlameChocobo II
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Hero
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire

Default Solo Horntail?

Hello there, I have a level 153 Hero with a range of 9567 ~ 13667 with max Rage. I have 143 Attack Power and 12 STR Tabarzin with the 30% Damage to Boss potential.

Here's the question. Should I solo Horntail at a low level?

If I should, what's the strategy to fight Horntail?

Thanks

2. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

I think 'could I' is more appropriate here. I don't think you could, but I've never HT'd myself, so take that with a grain of salt.

3. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

Pretty much this. I don't know a lot about heroes at all through. before dojo gloves / legendary potential I couldn't beat him until i had over 30k range.

4. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

I would not even attempt it in your situation.
    If we are speaking about GMS you would have to compete with others just to get in before the 60 entries (30 per channel) are taken for the next week or so. The fight itself would be possible, but it would take hours to finish with your range, and that is not even including the many misses you would see due to the lvl difference. Survivng that long with seduces and 1/1:s raining down could potentialy cost you alot of wheels.

5. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

You need like a 35k range just about to finish with around 10 minutes left on the clock That's how it was for me but that was before this buff we got and I only had 10% boss. I guess the newer range would be around 30

6. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

Default Re: Solo Horntail?

I could duo it with another bishop when we both had roughly 20k range.

So I honestly don't think you should even attempt it at that level with that range >_>

I don't know how it is with the world you play in, but I almost never bother with regular horntail due to the malicious, inconsiderate "horntail police"

Perfect example of a typical Scanian plantain:

To answer how to defeat horntail (if you're going for drops), first you must defeat the two preliminary heads.
    Once you're on the main body, you kill the legs at the left side first, then kill the tail, then the right arm/wing, right head, center head, left head, right head, and depending on the time, wait until the hour mark is up to finish off the left wing/hand.

Keep in mind that the hands are what seduces. So if you're really concerned about seduce, I would kill the left arm after the right one is dead instead of the method listed above.

7. Won't Be Coming Back Straight Male

Job: Blade Master
    usa

Your level is fine to solo HT.
    Bring a few wheels and time your crashes properly and you'll do ok.

8. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

Is it seriously possible to solo HT with a range under 15k as a hero?
    god i've been trying to get 50k range on my pally and 100% boss dmg to solo HT someday.
    I overestemated HT severely it seems.

9. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

I was considering attempting to solo HT on my Paladin with 32k range and 30% Boss, that might be possible. But 14k +30% Boss as a Hero? To be blunt, no, I really don't think it's possible.

@FlameChocobo: What was your Range in that Zakum video? That was regular Zakum right? That took you something like 35 minutes, and Horntail has a lot more HP.
    To put it into perspective (Just did the math):
    Zakum's Combined Parts = 482,100,000 HP
    Horntail's Combined Parts = 2,420,000,000 HP
    Since it took you 35 minutes to do Zakum, it would probably take you over 2 and a half hours to do Horntail. That's not even including missing.

10. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

I don't think it would be very doable, much less worth the effort since you would be in there in constant combat for probably the entire duration.

11. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

If its true what you say then it should take me around 30-40 minutes to solo HT since I kill zak in 5 minutes.
    But thats not including seduce and everything else though. Could anyone tell me what the timer is for horntail?
    I thought it was 1 hour and 30 minutes but i'm probably wrong.

12. Donator Straight Female
    canada

You can most definitely solo ht within a reasonable time period.

Just keep in mind for drops to take up an hour before you kill it.

13. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

An hour and fifteen minutes, so 75 minutes total.

The one reason I haven't attempted to solo HT myself yet is because I don't have Hero's Will, and that Seduce will be annoying without it.

My estimation for him is pure numbers, though. It could take more or less, it depends on how many parts you can hit at once against HT compared to Zakum. For example, I assume you use ACB against the Arms, but I don't think there's a part on HT that's better to use ACB against over Blast, so it could be a little faster than the estimation. For FlameChocobo it could potentially be even longer because he hits multiple arms at once with his main attack against Zakum, where I don't believe HT has parts close enough to hit together, so he's only able to attack one part at a time, even with a mobbing skill.

I don't know if the bug is EXACTLY the same as it is in JMS, but in JMS you just need to wait until the 40 minute mark (so 35 minutes after the run starts). Take this advice with caution, of course, because the bug might be different in GMS.

14. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Intrepid Slash can hit tail+legs, or arm+wing+legs(+head when it dips), or two heads at once.

However, at 15k range and no Enrage (if I remember correctly), I don't see any chance of finishing in time.

15. Donator Straight Female
    canada

You could very well be right, now that you mention it. I know for sure that Chaos Horntail is an hour wait for drops.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you are right.
    I just never regular horntail ;_;

@Death; might wanna double check the timer drop time, then.

16. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Drops for regular Horntail is 30 minutes from entering the main cave.
    Last edited by Dark Link; 2012-05-14 at 07:15 PM. Reason: zzz...

17. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

^This, unless you're going with a full party of 6, then you don't have to wait for drops at all. Granted this thread is about soloing so it's probably not relevant, but I didn't find that out until a few weeks ago accidentally.

18. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

I think there was some discussion of it on Basil and someone solo'd it with about a 40k range. Paladins have less to worry about from Sed and such, but then need a higher range to get it done. Dunno how much extra you'd need without Guardian.

19. フレイムチョコボ Straight Male
    IGN: FlameChocobo II
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire

Just to put this aside, my range was 9608 ~ 13725 when I fought Zakum. The reason my range is low is that I'm not that funded and that I need to work on potentials more, which is going to be a pain in the rear that I have to spend a lot of my money on those cubes for better potential (WOOHOO! More gambling! Doesn't it get more fun? /sarcasm) And I'd rather not use Dark Scrolls because it has a chance of blowing up your items, thus I could really be screwed if it blows up my equips. You can get the Shielding Ward, but I have no idea how you get those other than FM. I was thinking about soloing Horntail, but a part of me thinks it's a bad idea.

That 30% Boss damage I have on my Tabarzin is really trolling me.

20. Default Re: Solo Horntail?

I have no problem with your range, I understand having no funding. Was just asking to compare with your previous video to give you an accurate answer.