1. Default Re: Pocket Monster Games

Is it appropriate to categorize the Pokemon franchise as a cash cow phenomenon. Discuss. Please.

2. Lazy Mathematician Female
    IGN: MsJudith
    Server: Windia
    Level: 130
    Job: aran
    Guild: n/a
    Alliance: n/a
    California

Default Re: Pocket Monster Games

No. They put a lot of effort into their marketing. Especially with the nintendo direct and the fact that they're releasing it worldwide on the same day. They build up a lot of hype for it. So it's definitely more than meager marketing.

3. Default

I agree with this. To add, I consider the shows to be a form of marketing to sell the games and related paraphernalia for those with paraphilia. I would caveat with the idea that the shows themselves could generate revenue for Game Freak, however I haven't bothered to look up if it is a stand alone profit oriented enterprise. Since you tackled the first description what are your thoughts on the second description, i.e. what is your opinion on the production costs that go into making a given game. For example adding genders to Pokemon, giving them the ability to breed, bringing in different wild Pokemon to be caught during AM/PM, and adding more Pokemon in each installment. Do you think these additions built gradually over each new release was proportional to the profit that came from sales of the series.

4. Default Re: Pocket Monster Games

There, you just answered your own question.

5. Default

What's the answer? What are the costs that go into making an innovative new release of Pokemon. Designing another hundred or so Pokemon, designing a new plot around gym leaders and team rocket/magma, and new features. Is this assessment congruent with correlating cash grab status with inflation and what period of inflation for which country should be used in order to determine whether this should be assessed as a cash grab or not.

6. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

disagree, pokemon x&y was definately targeted for the holiday season. its arguably the reason why nintendo even made a new 3ds model for it(the 2ds). thats pretty much marketing directly to parents to buy a 2ds + pokemon for christmas

the fact that nintendo could have released the game earlier is another sign. this is nintendo's first(?) time doing a simultaneous worldwide release regionally. all of their moves point to the fact that they WANT to market pokemon

7. Default

The holiday season as a target doesn't detract from the general point of categorizing the item as a cash cow. Marketing strategies also doesn't deny the idea that there is minimal marketing put into a product. If you were a game company with a minimal budget (which Game Freak is not) then niche marketing is a highly probable strategy a company would use to draw in a loyal fanbase for their company so they can continue to produce games. You can market during holiday season, that doesn't detract from the amount of funding that would be put into such an endeavor unless we can reliably believe that all marketing during the holiday season would require immense funding due to a scenario where businesses battle for exclusive bids in a limited advertising vacuum that is awarded to the highest bidder.

A desire to put a product to massive market does not necessitate that a respectable amount of resources were put into marketing. I would like to do many things to my career prospects and plan for it, however that does not necessitate that actual time and effort was put into achieving it. Nor does it indicate that it was accomplished.

8. Default Re: Pocket Monster Games

So... Christmas is in October? I must have missed that.

OT: No. Pokemon games to make improvements and changes throughout each generation and game. They do put effort (no idea how much investment it costs to produce pokemon games).

9. Default Re: Pocket Monster Games

I'm a skeptic. Make an argument that is either founded on facts or on logic that is centered around sound assumptions.

11. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

the game(and system) is pretty much out right before the shopping season in november starts. being that slight earliness allows stores to at least be able to already have stock instead of getting the stock in november, only to lose it to all of the preorders that probably would happen for pokemon.