IGN: 0Chuey0
    Server: Windia
    Level: 207
    Job: Hero
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire

Default Profession Bag Limit

Hey everyone!

I know that originally the bag limit for professions was 3 and then Chaos changed it to 4, but I was simply wondering if it has increased since then. Otherwise, I need to toss my Cole Bag or Master Mineral Bag so I can make use of another 8-slot bag I found from Monster Park.

Couldn't find any posts on this since late 2011, so I'm sorry if this question is going to get someone to shout at me. :<

Thanks!

2. Default Re: Profession Bag Limit

The limit is still 4 bags. You'll have to toss out one of your other bags for the 8 slot one.

3. Default Re: Profession Bag Limit

Why does Nexon keep limiting the helpful things like this...I dont like throwing away quest items just to get another 4 slots from a bag. We should be able to use 10 bags of we want.

4. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Profession Bag Limit

But, but, but, it might cut down on your slot expansion purchases!

5. Default Re: Profession Bag Limit

Exactly.

6. Default Re: Profession Bag Limit

Then why ask in the first place when we all know the answer? It is ever a struggle for balance between gaming utility and money making.

7. Orbital Bee Cannon

I wish they'd remove the hard cap on inventory size. And char slots, while they're at it.
    We should be able to expand as much as we want, as long as we pay for it, of course.

8. Default Re: Profession Bag Limit

The issue with inventory size is the view all button and their UI. I do think they should raise the character slot limit though. I hear that they do in Tempest but only to 18. I don't really see what the issue is considering most of the new classes don't share CS inventory and the only main "cash" benefit for having more chars on the same account is just storage space.

9. Orbital Bee Cannon

Actually, the issue in both cases is the structure of their database. A technical issue that's about as likely to get changed as the irrational client-server relationship.

semi-technical explanation

10. Default Re: Profession Bag Limit

I run a Maple database website as well as having rather extensive knowledge of PS, and having briefly went over the assembly/MsSQL databases of BMS, so believe me when I say that I do know my way around DBs. The issue I was talking about with the character slots is the incentive (or lack thereof) for Nexon to allow people to purchase additional slots.

As for the technical explanation you give, I know for sure PS uses the second method. I don't recall off the top of my head what BMS used. Also, the "speed" improvement of the first way over the second way is so miniscule (less than 1/100th of a second if indexed/keyed properly) that it's hard for me to believe Nexon (well, technically, Wizet) would do that. Then again these are the same coders who accepted item IDs from client as if they were always correct so I could be very wrong.

11. Orbital Bee Cannon

I think @Eos; once said that the BMS database used no indexing, but I could be misremembering.

As for the incentive for more character slots: since the one-account-per-person restriction was removed from the ToS, we all have infinite storage. Except for untradeable and account-locked items. Nexon should actually encourage us to purchase new slots on existing accounts, rather than create new accounts with free slots on them. The fact that they don't indicates to me that they have a technical issue blocking them, namely a non-dynamic database structure.

12. Default Re: Profession Bag Limit

There are some random indexes here and there, but not many and not where they'd be most useful.

For the tabs they'd be fine to add slots indefinitely, well, up to 2,147,483,647, clearly more than anyone needs, they use an ordinal value positioning system with a separate table per tab. Note the incrementing POS column that defines the ordinal location.

ETC Tab Sample;
    Spoiler

There are no indexes on that, though there really should be a clustered index, or even primary key, on CharacterID, POS to immediately grab a specific spot in any character's inventory on demand. One would hope GMS or KMS would've done that by now, but BMS hadn't.

If I recall they use negative POS in the equip table to indicate which ones are being worn and where, so that table covers both items in your equip tab and items you're actually wearing.

Character lists are similarly vertical.

CharacterIDAccountIDWorldIDCharacterNameGender
    200Bob0
    820Ted0
    930George0
    1010Fredwina1
    1140Mark0
    1250James0
    1310Waffles0

So no limit on how many characters.

13. Default Re: Profession Bag Limit

Which is what I was stating before (that it's strange Nexon is limiting the # of chars per account). I don't think there is a technical limitation to the number of characters (and also as Eos has confirmed).

And I also stated that the issue with item slot expansion is that they have things like this set up:

I'm not saying they can't increase the inventory slot expansion because of this, but it would require them to do more work. However, there is little to no (technical) limitation on the number of characters per account, nor is there more work for them to do, therefore I said in my original post that they should definitely increase it.

14. Orbital Bee Cannon

The expanded inventory (view) option wasn't always in the game. They could have had unlimited inventory expansions sold back when you always had to scroll. I don't know why they didn't, just as I don't know why they won't allow unlimited chars per account (and even more, why they expanded in KMS to only 18 now. It doesn't even fit the UI. Should have been 24.)

Eos' confirmation that there is no technical issue leaves me completely puzzled as to their motives.

15. Default Re: Profession Bag Limit

But that would make logical business sense! People paying for things they actually want, and not random chances as getting items they almost do?

I think Nexon is tsundere with money.

16. Default Re: Profession Bag Limit

Artificial limits to increase the perceived value.
    Character slots and inventory space are diamonds.