Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Default Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

So I did a little research on Phantoms, and I am wondering if the skills I plan to steal will work out in the long run. I plan to get support skills as well as some powerful buffs. I don't really plan on getting active attack skills, since I don't think it warrants a slight damage boost over more utility. I want to be more of a party Phantom.

The reason I decided to post this here is because I feel Phantom steal skills can be rather opinion based.

1st: Dark Sight/Magic Armor/Magic Guard/Haste
    2nd: Hyper Body/Power Guard/Rage/Bless (Swap out for Threaten once I can hijack Advanced Blessing)
    3rd: Holy Symbol/Combo Attack/Holy Magic Shell
    4th: Sharp Eyes/Advanced Blessing

2. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

My buff mule has:

Haste dark sight magic guard and somersault kick

rage heal threaten and hyper body

CO HS and door (switch door for dispel)

AB/SI (si for myself AB for training characters) and smoke shell.

3. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

My phantom currently has:

1st: Dark Sight, Haste, Magic Guard, and Iron Body
    2nd: Hyper Body, Power Guard, Rage, Mental Clarity
    3rd: Holy Symbol, Combo Attack, Mystic Door
    4th: Ressurrect, Rapid Fire

Note that i've mainly just been doing Horntail parties, Red Leaf High, and solo monster park with some gallant emblem farming (oblivion 5) mixed in here and there.

4. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

Haste, Magic guard

Rage, Mental Clarity, HB

HS, Combo, Door

RF, SE

5. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

Is mguard really worthwhile for Phantoms? It seems like without a mage's vast MP buffer, mguard is just an emergency displacement of the damage. And it's easier to accumulate, from drops, HP pots that heal a large amount, than MP pots that do the same.

6. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

What else are you going to steal? Lucky 7? Slash blast? i mean, that skill set pretty much takes all the buffs available to phantoms in 1st job. It's not like you'd want anything else anyway.

7. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

I prefer using Meso Guard rather than Hyper Body.

8. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

For me : 1st : Dark Sight, Haste, and Magic Guard
    2nd : Heal, Dark Clarity, HB, and Threaten
    3rd : Magic Crash, HS, and Combo Attack
    4th : Rapid Fire and SE

9. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

Dark Clarity is probably the worst 2nd job skill to steal since it cancels every other weapon attack buff.

Well never mind that.

10. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

Wouldn't have stolen it otherwise :)

11. Mercury Straight Male
    IGN: StacknStick
    Server: Windia
    Job: Phantom
    Guild: Exist
    Alliance: DreamHome
    Farm: ButcherDen
    russia

Haste
    Rage/HB/MG/threaten
    combo/crash/dice
    SE/harmony

12. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

Haste
    Hyper Body/Threaten/Rage
    Holy Symbol/Combo Attack/Elemental Decrease (Phantom's attacks are Physical, most bosses are strong against Physical, Elemental Decrease removes "Physical" status.)
    Rapid Fire/Sharp Eyes

13. Lazy Mathematician Female
    IGN: MsJudith
    Level: 130
    Job: aran
    Guild: n/a
    Alliance: n/a
    California

Everyone seems to ignore that part. Since your question is about which are the best phantom skills to get that fit that above criteria, here's my suggestion:

1st: haste/mg/dark-sight? +whatever else

2nd: threaten /power guard/ hyper body / rage... replace HB with heal when you (and your party) get self HB, or replace PG with heal for places with potion CD

3rd: holy symbol/magic crash/combo attack (optional: luck of the die) <--- die is completely option and not particularly recommended but can be used for training with other phantoms... one is bound to have HS... and grabbing a 6 every now and then is nice)

4th: SE/resurrection
    Replace SE with jolly roger if you're with another phantom or other who will use SE. 30% status resist means you're MUCH more likely to not get seduced due to already having a nice base status resist of 40%. Combine this with the small amount of status resist from traits and you're pretty much looking at 75% status resist :D
    Due to this high status resist chance you'll be ready to switch to resurrection in case something goes wrong for other members of your party. If your party is not likely to die/resurrection does matter (akyrium) then replace resurrection with Chain Lightning. This is for CLs support aspect of dealing with monsters that your physical attacks are useless against.

14. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

I actually tested out Elemental Decrease on Hilla and Ephenia. I did the same damage with it and without it. I'll try it again some other time just to be sure.

15. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

It does not.

Elemental Decrease only works for Magician skills, you can see here that it does nothing for Rapid Fire, but does work with Paralyze (Screenshots at the end).

16. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Phantom can never steal a +status resistance skill. All status resistance modifiers are passive.

17. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

Why in the world would you steal Jolly Roger, or even Crossbones if we're on this topic? Like mentioned above, +status resistant skills have that as a passive trait, and besides Jolly Roger cancels out Aria. My stolen skills are

1st: none
    2nd: Rage
    3rd: Dispel, Combo, Crash
    4th: SE

I think the ideal setup is

1st:irrelevant
    2nd: Rage, Threat, Power Guard(Paladin), Hyper Body
    3rd: Combo, Dispel, Crash
    4th: Rapid Fire(if you don't cap on Mille)/SE, Time Leap

I'm at the point where combo is the only stolen skill I need and then just play around and use other fun skills like Octopunch and stuff. I keep Time Leap handy in case my feint is used up or in Party instances, res has been used up or echo, etc.

18. Lazy Mathematician Female
    IGN: MsJudith
    Level: 130
    Job: aran
    Guild: n/a
    Alliance: n/a
    California

You say that as if i KNEW that aspect of Jolly Roger T.T... clearly I didn't and I JUST found out from takebacker that jolly roger wont work. I'll stick to the suggestion of SE/res or CL then.

19. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Thanks for your input, guys. Got some new ideas here, primarily the idea of grabbing Resurrection or Time Leap. The only thing that bugs me is why 4th job ONLY lets you have 2 skills. So many good choices.

I read some stuff Heal is lackluster on Phantom. Is that simply not the case and it actually heals about as well as a Bishop using it?

As for Chain Lightning, is it really that good? Also, does it really bypass physical immunities, instead counting as magic while using the physical attack range of Phantom?

20. Default Re: Ideal Phantom Steal Skill set-up?

I've heard that any mage attacks still count as physical damage when used by a Phantom. Can't confirm though; like you I stuck to buffs.